Sunday, June 13, 2010

Whats on Deck and How to Scrub it

While at the library, I picked up Candi Jensen's book Knitting Loves Crochet. I don't typically consider myself a marketer's dream, but I have to admit that when I saw the tank on the front cover, I was hooked (no pun intended). This will be next on my needles.

Doing the dishes is not (admitedly) one of my favorite tasks, it is always somewhat more enjoyable when you have a fun scrubbie to scrub with. I made these upon a request of some friends of mine who had a scrubbie FOREVER that Grandma had made. Since she had passed away, they had no idea how to get any more of them. I asked them to bring me the sample to see what exactly it was. It was a simple garter stich square made out of cotton combined with tulle to provide a more abrasive surface. You can buy rolls of bridal tulle at fabric shops and cut into approximately 1" wide strips. Depending on the size you want, you simply cast on however many stitches (I used 21) and knit until it is the desired length (I stopped at 5"). There are a ton of different materials you can use to make these, such as onion bags. Be creative and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment