Monday, December 27, 2010

Counting By Twos Does Not End in an Odd Number

I love to knit, everyone knows that. Beyond the fact of making something, it is very soothing and relaxing. The rhythmic motions are very calming. Think about K2 P2 ribbing for example. You knit two stitches and then you purl two stitches over and over. You always know what is coming next. You can look at the knitting and tell what stitch you just worked and what should be coming next. That is why it is crazy that I can be working merrily along on the Sheila vest for 51 rows when I come to the sudden realization that I am ending the row on P1.....how can this be?

When I started the pattern, I cast on 178 stitches. The last time I checked, that was an even number. Hmmmm. So, on row 52, I decide to count all the stitches. I get to the first marker, 50 stitches, good, good. I get to the second marker, 128 stitches, good, good. I get to the second to the last stitch, 176. Not good. Not good at all. So, I solve the dilemma by increasing in the last stitch.

Moral of the story, pay attention to your knitting, more often than not it can tell you when you have miscounted.

No comments:

Post a Comment