Saturday, January 15, 2011

Getting Rid of the Baggy Last Stitch When Casting Off

I am always looking for helpful tips for knitting. There are plenty of people in the world who have more experience than me, so why recreate the wheel?

Jane Crowfoot, the author of All Stitched Up, provides a great idea to help resolve that baggy last stitch when you are casting off. You know what I mean, you cast all of the stitches off, excited about the home stretch and then you get to the last stitch and it is just huge. If you just draw the yarn through it, you get a weird looking ending. Not a huge deal if you are going to seam your pieces together, but if the end is visible, a nice clean finish is desired.

Jane tells us to cast off all of the stitches until we get to the last stitch, just like normal. Using the left needle, pick up the stitch directly under the last. Transfer the last stitch that is on your right needle back to the left needle and knit the two stitches together. Voila!

2 comments:

  1. WOW you are my hero.

    Do you have a tip for the last stitch when you bind off in circular knitting (mitts).

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana:

    Well, I can't take the credit, but I am happy to pass along tips when I come across them in my reading. In regards to your question about the last stitch in circular, I am guessing you are referring to the "bump" from one row being higher than the other? If so, I would try a similar approach, pick up a stitch in the first stitch and then slip the last stitch back to the left needle and knit 2 together.

    ReplyDelete