Friday, January 21, 2011

Will Knitting for the Wii Sell?

I was sitting on my "spot" on the couch, if you knit, you know what I mean, that special place that you always go to sit down and knit. You have space to keep your patterns and stitch counter and tape measure and various other tools next to you for usage at a moments notice.

My spot happens to be in our family room. My son came into the room and turned on the television and the Wii. He played a game for the few minutes, I think it was Super Mario Galaxy, and then he asked me if I wanted to play. I told him no thanks, I was knitting. He sighed, clearly disappointed and not understanding how I could enjoy two sticks and a ball of yarn more than Mario. I tried to explain to him that I don't have a lot of time available to knit, so I squeeze it in wherever I can.

He wondered if there was a knitting game for the Wii if I would play? I had to think about that for a minute.....what would be the concept? Who can knit the fastest? Who can cast on the most stitches in a minute? As I further speculated on this, I thought, who would buy this game? Can you picture 60 year old ladies getting together to beat each other at knitting? And that was when it suddenly came to me, the real reason why this would not work. Knitting is not about competition against others, its about getting together and helping each other, sharing in your successes and even your failures.

So, I am guessing Nintendo will not be rolling out Knitting for the Wii in 2011 or any future years, but it was fun to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment