Thursday, February 17, 2011

Patentsteek Anyone?

When I was at Barnes and Nobles the other day, I picked up a new book (surprise, surprise) about knitting. The title that caught my eye during this trip was Knitting Brioche, The Essential Guide to the Brioche Stitch by Nancy Marchant.  Don't you just love those cushy fabrics on the cover? They just make me want to squeeze them. In the past, I have made one scarf with brioche stitch, but I would not say I am an expert at it by any means. So, I thought it would give me a great opportunity to educate myself and check out the projects in the back as well.

Ms. Marchant is an expert at brioche, she even has her own website regarding brioche: http://briochestitch.com/brioche/  She goes into great depth in her book about the origins of brioche stitch. For example, she tells us that in the Netherlands, the brioche stitch is referred to as patentsteek. The next section covers how to work brioche both in written and chart directions. The charts still have me a little confused, but I think given a little more time that I will start to grasp the new symbols. At the end of the book are 25 patterns all with a Dutch flair. My personal favorite is the herfst avond scarf, which is Dutch for fall evening. It is a cozy little mohair scarf that puts a new spin on traditional brioche stitch. All in all, it was a great purchase and I look forward to creating some projects using brioche stitch.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment