Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All The Trimmings

So, I have finished my first Project Linus project, the buttercream twist blanket and I am really pleased with the results. I finally decided to go with a crochet trim that alternated double crochet and single crochet and created a sort of mini bobble effect. It kind of coordinates with the bumps of the garter stitch I think. Now I just need to wash it and dry it and then drop it off at my LYS.

When I was on twitter earlier today (not sure if that is what you call it, but for lack of a better way to describe it) I saw a bunch of knitting updates with #2kcbw in them. I sit and wonder silently to myself, what in the world is #2kcbw? Now even though I am new to twitter, I do realize that the hash (#) is used for searching/sorting, I get that, but what is this 2kcbw? Well, the best way to find out anything is to do research, right? So, after checking out a few fellow crafter's blogs, I get my answer. Its the 2nd annual knitting and crochet blog week. Who knew? Apparently not me, but I am remedying the situation right away.
Day 2 asks the following of knitters and crocheters:
“Look back over your last year of projects and compare where you are in terms of skill and knowledge of your craft to this time last year.”

This year I did a lot of work with new and different fibers instead of sticking with your everyday 100% wool. I tried mohair, alpaca, silk, linen and some unique poly fibers, just to name a few. Working with these different fibers taught me a lot more about understanding drape and what needles to use with what fiber.

This is the first year that I have ever written my own patterns and I am finding it very exciting to come up with ideas and share them on Ravelry and on my blog.

Technique wise, I learned the infamous i cord, I know it sounds silly, but I really never made one before I had to on a pattern for a Christmas ornament. And it really wasn't very hard. I also got some reinforcement  that it is ok to modify a pattern if it isn't quite right for your body, I used to always want to follow the pattern to a T.

I guess all in all I have gained confidence in my abilities and that lets me try things out without worrying so much if it is going to work out or not. Frogging is not the end of the world, it is all a learning experience.






Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hi and Welcome

    I am new to twitter and it look me a while to know what # was for!

    Your blanket is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Ginny, I am new to Twitter as well, I had to read a book to learn some of the ins and outs, and I still struggle with some of the nomenclature, but oh well. Thanks about the blanket, I am really pleased with it as well, it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete