Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tulip Time

The week was the main portion of the Holland Tulip Festival. Everywhere you look in Holland, there are different colors and types of these beautiful flowers.

On Wednesday, there is a street scrubbing parade, which includes the mayor and the governor. On Thursday, there is a childrens parade and all of the local school children, don Dutch costumes and march in the parade. My son got a new costume this year as we lost the pants for his previous year costume. I know, you are thinking, how in the world do you lose a pair of pants? I have no idea, but have moved on from this irritation with $65 less dollars in my pocket. The weather co operated and it was a sunny 84 degrees, which is a touch warm for marching, but a heck of a lot better than 55 and sprinkling.

Here is my son marching with his class (he is the one in the middle of the picture with the purple flag). He was dying by the end of the route and in desperate need of water, but they don't like to give them water during the parade or they will likely have to go to the bathroom, I guess. Thankfully, my husband was smart enough to pack 2 water bottles.
Another treat during tulip time is the carnival food. Earlier in the week we went down in the evening for elephant ears (fried dough covered in cinnamon sugar). As we departed from the parade, we stopped by and picked up some cotton candy and caramel corn. Dan wanted a caramel apple but we compromised and got him the apple sliced in a bowl and covered in caramel. I think he was disappointed he did not get his way, but I knew what would happen, he would take a bite and it would fall off the stick and then he would cry the rest of the way home. Been there and done that before.
Elizabeth enjoyed the sticky cotton candy, I think the whole bag was gone before we got home!

We missed the Dutch dancing this year, which is kind of disappointing, but I guess we will catch it next year.



All in all, the tulips were beautiful, the food good, the weather co operated and a good time was had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment