Friday, September 16, 2011

When Cold is a Source of Inspiration

It seems strange to me that my creative juices can run dry for months and then all of the sudden, the knitters block lifts and I have all kinds of ideas for things I want to design. Much of the summer I struggled with this. I have a beautiful yarn and I have a vague concept, but the design just didn't jell. I can't tell you how many swatches of this, that and the other thing I started and unraveled. Hub would kindly ask what I was making, which kinda made me grumpy, even though it wasn't his fault. I am sure he was getting a little lot cheesed off with my snippy behavior.

Today I was sitting in my office, it was before 8am and I was feeling a little chilled from my walk in from the parking lot. I know, its not like it is winter, but it was in the low 40s, which is cold to me (in September). I sent a text to my brother to see what he was up to since we hadn't talked in a few weeks. Not that we aren't friendly, we just communicate more with this method and, well, it works. I told him that I was thinking about making chili (I didn't because I hadn't gone to Meijer's and frankly was avoiding it) because it sounded like something that would warm me up. He mentioned that it was getting close to hunting season and I hoped he still liked the camo hat and neck gaiter I made him last year (not that he would tell me if he didn't).

After I sat my phone down I thought that it would be nice to wrap a blanket around me.

All of a sudden, EUREKA!

I could design my own blanket. And then my next thought popped into my head. I could make it like a quilt!

I love when an idea comes that easy. Maybe I need to stop forcing it (and possibly give up my control freak ways) and just let the ideas come when I least expect them. Maybe I need to relax and have another mug of hot chocolate and butterscotch schnapps.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, don't know which sounds better, a quilt-like knit blanket, or hot chocolate with butterscotch schnapps! They both sound scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cup of hot chocolate never goes amiss on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete