Thursday, October 27, 2011

Alchemy of Color Knitting

In her book, The Alchemy of Color Knitting, Gina Wilde provides knitters with the background on the ideas of color and even the meanings of certain colors.

I can admit the first thing I did was go to dictionary.com and look up alchemy as I was not familiar with the term. (Apparently it has nothing to do with supply management). Alchemy is defined as a form of chemistry and speculative philosophy, nope, I don't come across that in everyday work.

While the primary focus is color theory, she also provides 25 patterns that simply POP due to the choice of colors. There is even a pattern that combines two different variegated yarns AT THE SAME TIME! Get this, it isn't blindingly ugly either, it is very attractive, so now you know, it can be done.

I was very intrigued by this book, particularly since I am kind of a black, khaki, navy and white kind of gal. Every once in a while I break out of my traditional mold, but not often.

My very favorite pattern (and associated story) is for the Month of Sundays Shawl, a beautiful lace shawl in snowy mohair. The author describes it as elegant, subtle and exquisite, and it is. Doesn't that make you want to run out and get her book?

After having read Gina's book, I am going to attempt to walk past the black yarn racks and take a peak at peacock blue next time.....or maybe maple leaf red.

No comments:

Post a Comment