Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Right Back Where I Was

So, it has been a week since the "Epic Monday" event. In said week, my car was declared totaled, I shopped for a new van, I purchased said van and I started on the hamster wheel of car payments again. On a bright note, I spent a lot of quality time with both my husband and my brother who were officially dubbed "Don and Eric's Taxi Service." Now I more clearly remember what it was like as a teenager when I had a drivers license and no car....

On another note, I have made fairly limited progress on the beach house pullover due to the many distractions surrounding "Epic Monday." I managed to get the 6" of ribbing done on the bottom, all the while wondering if I should make it less than 6" or not. (I stuck with the pattern). I thought that this sweater would be a great opportunity for me to learn how to cable without a cable needle since the whole sweater is covered with staghorn cables. Apparently, I thought wrong. For the life of me, I could not get this to work. I caved and grabbed my cable needle after about 4 attempts. There must be a trick to this, so when I get a little time I will google this and see what you tube videos are out there to provide guidance.

I was so focused on trying to cable without the cable needle that I misread the pattern. Here I am knitting merrily along and I get to the 1/2 way marker and I have an uneven amount of stitches. Hmmm, I must have miscounted I think and add another stitch. Didn't even bother to look back and see if I miscounted or anything. I get to the last marker and same thing, so I just add a stitch. Miss Know It All assumes there must be a mistake in the pattern (its never me). Well, we all know what assuming does for you......I get to row three of the pattern and I can visually see this is messed up but I am in denial. I flip the magazine to the picture, is it possible that it really is supposed to look like this (denial), maybe just the first rows look like this (denial), maybe.....maybe not. I flip back to the pattern and read it again and my bifocals point out the two stitches I missed the first time around. Well, maybe I can live with this row a little off on the bottom (denial), maybe no one will notice (denial). OK, I'm not fooling anybody. After hesitating for brief moments, I yanked the knitting off the needle and proceeded to frog back to the stockinette. On the bright side, it allowed me to try on the sweater and see how it fit on my hips. And it looked great. Especially without the goofed up cables.

No comments:

Post a Comment