Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hot Spot

It has been all quiet from me lately, so this might be an extra long post. You may (or may not) remember that I was working dilligently on the beach house pull over when suddenly Holland was hit with unseasonably warm weather for about 2 weeks. It was in the 80s, no kidding. Well, when you get nice weather like that, you just have to go outside and enjoy it. So we did. At the same time, was going thru some tough stuff at work and I would just go home and not want to do anything. So I didn't. Consequently, I didn't make much progress on the beach house pullover. Frankly, it is hard to be motivated to work on a 100% wool sweater when it is 85 degrees. Maybe its just me, but I could not stay focused.

Well, we started to get close to spring break time and I wanted to take some knitting with me, so I packed away the sleeve and pulled out the yarn for the matching baby cable sock. I learned a few lessons on this that I want to share right now.

First and foremost, unravel and match up your yarn before you start knitting socks made of varigated yarn. (Enough said)

Second (and equally important) remember what size needles you were using for the first sock. Especially if you have a bunch of needles.

Third, remember how many stitches you cast on the first time.

After a bit of dinking around, I got the second sock going and it is a fairly good match to its sister sock. I am just about to the heel flap, but I decided that would wait until I got to the hotel to manage, I am not experienced enough to do the heel flap in the car yet. At the same time, I was searching thru patterns on Ravelry before I left and I saw the most awesome pattern, called Wingspan. Please take a second to follow the link and check it out as there are many versions and all are equally beautiful in their own way. That is one thing I really love about Ravelry, you can see how others make a pattern and revise it as well. 

I have started work on the Wingspan pattern, but mine is going to be called The Black Swan, pretty dramatic, huh? So far, so good, I only had to frog once because I forgot to put the marker on and when I attempted to tink back I dropped a bunch of stitches, doh! I wasn't that far along, so it made more sense to just try again.

In the mean time, we are enjoying the local weather. Pretty awesome, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment